Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Duke Spirit Pics and mini recap


Opening act, Hot Tub, A trio of rapping females from Oakland. My initial and later overall reaction revolved around meh to very disinterested. I am as they say " not down w/ the hiphop." However, they did set the template for a rather abrasively crunchy beat that propelled the patrons around me to attack the dance the floor like angry sturgeons, or maybe it was just those two dudes grinding on each other that
reminded me of an underwater sword fight. I digress, the evening got progressively better when the next band, TIG TIGS took the stage.

I dont know if it was the copious amounts of Speak Easy Stout that coursed through my veins or that TIG TIG was just flat out killing it, but I was totally into their set. At a mellower moment during their set I ended up in the middle of a Swaying session with one of the ladies from Hot Tub, somewhat random. During a song in the later part of their set, TIG TIG threw down a most excellent propulsive beat and a meaty angular guitar lick that reminded me of that Stix song from Happy Gilmore (played over the drunken montage where Sandler falls off the rails after being accused of cheating through grade school). There's another current rock song that apes this song's kool-aide riff too, but I don't know the name of it just that it never fails to play on the radio of my friend's car on the way to hockey games in the east bay.

Finally, the moment Id been waiting for. The Duke Spirit ascended to the stage, equal parts swagger, and chops. Simply stated they went off for a packed bay area continent.

Showcasing material mostly from Neptune, they rattled it off with ruthless efficiency. Notable memories during a break between songs, I sheepishly asked for "Message to a Pretty" to which Ms. Lelia Moss responded, "We're not that clever." Their renditions of "Dog Roses", "The Step & the Walk" and "Love Is An Unfamiliar Name" were the high points of the set list for me.



The packed crowd quickly dispersed after the Duke Spirit exited the stage leaving the headliners, I don't remember their name something with a Poly and Bee, to play to a crowd of maybe 15 or 20 plus or minus a few extra heads. I don't really know, I left midway through their first song to catch Bart.

Full Set List:
I Do Believe(Intro)
Send A Little Love Token
Lassoo
Dog Roses
Sovereign
The Step & Walk
My Sunken Treasure
This Ship Was Built to Last
Red Weather
Love is An Unfamiliar Name

No comments: