Saturday, January 5, 2008

Current Reads



I am about One hundred pages from finishing the 3.0 version of Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat." I have to say that I've enjoyed it so far. I became of fan of Friedman's work after reading 1999's "The Lexus and the Olive Tree" (another book on globalization) a few years ago. As an American student, I find similar parallels to my own academic experiences in regards to the chapters detailing the growing disparity in terms of quality education and funding options for American schools. Education is held in the highest esteem in other countries and yet here it is never brought up in political discussions and continues to slowly erode. My big soapbox question is if we're supposed to be the next leaders of this country, why are the current leaders not enabling us with the necessary tools to do so?

No comments: