Friday, January 11, 2008

Top 2007 and whatevers

So my top 10 picks are up at
Soundsect.com's top 20 albums of 2007

http://soundsect.com/feature.php?id=13
Here's a better list of favorite music from this year
Its sorta in order by soundsect.com's listings:

Les Trois Malheures- S/T Ep
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Baby 81
Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde
Boris Vs. SBGM- Damaged 10''
The Duke Spirit - Ex Voto Ep (Neptune is going to be SWEEEET)
Les Savy Fav - Lets Stay Friends
Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris
The 2007 output of the following bands:
The Manhattan Love Suicides - S/T, Kick It Back 7'', Keep It Coming 7''
Wooden Shjips - S/T, SOL 7'', Loose Lips 7''
Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond
Boris and Michio Kurihara - Rainbow [2007 sparked a curious interest Boris, I am still trying to process the releases that I picked up, namely the Sunn0))) joint album, Altar (I know this came out in 2006, but I was late to the dance). So far the Damaged 10'' and Rainbow are my favorites.
Countless Cure Boots (standing out the most are Downloadfest 07 [cuz i was there and on the floor staring lovingly at Robert and company as they tore through nearly 30 years worth of music, dropped a new tune, although not the top of the new three, I would have been spazzing out more if they had played b-sides [yeah, yeah I am Cure dorkus], Mexico 07 trilogy [showcaing the three new singles coming out later], SBD 89 Tour Comp, London 7.24.90 [which so far has my favorite version of A Forest], Hartford Matrix mix 96, Netherlands 1980 [Simon's bass is so thick in the mix], Finsbury 93 [disc 2], JAMC Boots(especially the wealth of 2007 reunion shows, and my personal fav ULU London cuz its got Happy Place on it) and Dinosaur Jr. Boots [Beyond material showcased and it sounds even better live than on record]
Noel+Gem 2006 solo shows [This sparked an interest to seek out more Oasis, which is alot better than I thought or remembered growing up]

Reiusses:
Sea Hags, Shark Move, Joy Division -Unknown Pleasures. I didnt buy alot of reissues this year,

Books:
God is Not Great
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
I am American (And So Can You)
Slash
Presidential Courage
The World is Flat
Getting back into fiction, 3 Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch [fuck you media mail,the 4 Novels form the 60s by Philip K. Dick, this actually came based on the post below [I havent started reading it yet, but I really enjoyed 3 Stigmata, so I think I will like these].
Rereading the Prydain Chronicles three times and its still as good as when i first read them 13 years ago.

Movies
Anything that had Judd Apatow's name attached to it, man knows how to make me laugh and thats what I look for in movies.
I wish there was more here but I didnt make it to alot of movies, I waste all my money on music and books.

TV Shows
30 Rock (so many star wars references amongst a very smart, hilarious and well written show)
the Office
Flight of the Conchords
The Wire (new season underway, fuck yeah!)
Real Time w/ Bill Maher

Last but surely not least, the friends and people who've affected my life in a positive manner in 2007, you are an esteemed collective, both the catalyst, keeping me on track to tackle my objectives and the source of light that guides me home when i lose my way in the dark. Much love and respect.

Thats about it, so far 2008 is pretty great, the new Black Mountain, mentioned below, slays.

No comments: