Monday, January 7, 2008

The Jesus and Mary Chain

Photo property of Soma Soma Scene.

I am really pleased to share a morsel of my review way back from October 29, 2007 of Friday evening's Fillmore starring the Jesus and Mary Chain. The rest of the review can be read over at Soma Music Scene.

"Mark Crozer and Phil King were very proficient; they let their playing do all the talking. Drummer Loz Colbert held me in awe; I was
not very familiar with his previous bands Ride and Animal House, but he played exceptionally well, at times looking like a frenetic
octopus.
Miranda lee Richards, introduced as a friend of the band, came out and sang on Just Like Honey and Some Times Always. Both
sounded pleasing to the ear, most notably Sometimes Always. The song was never one of my favorites, but this rendition struck
me in a very profound way. Richards' airy vocals gave me chills.

The band ran through Darklands, and Nine Million Rainy Days as encores. Nine Million Rainy Days had a similar effect on me the
way Sometimes Always did, hitting me in a way the studio version never did - Jim's delivery sounded more impassioned, with a
sense of deprived yearning, as he sang the words:

And this room becomes a shrine thinking

Of you and the way you are sends the

Shivers to my head you're going to fall

You're going to fall down dead.

The band ended the evening with Reverence. The song sounded exceptional. Due to my close proximity to the Williams'
speakers, I was able to physically feel fragments of the feedback. The air from the speakers rattled my insides with a harsh
dissonance; the squalls of feedback were well timed in conjecture with William’s turbulent foot stomps, reminding me of Godzilla
attacking Tokyo."

Rest of the review here www.somasomascene.com/jamc_sanfran.html
Also as a treat here is the encore to Sept. 7, 2007's show @ Brixton Academy, Darklands and Nine Million Rainy Days (both of which appear for the first time during the 2007 reunion shows).

http://www.mediafire.com/?a0tdjrkwjn2

http://www.mediafire.com/?1gom1gmvzjy

Other JAMC news, the four cd B-sides collection is due sometime at end of February or March, and a new album, aswell (no date reported as of yet). On the band's myspace page there are a couple of new songs up in demo form
http://www.myspace.com/jesusandmarychainband

Upcoming Gigs:
03/11/2008
London @ the Roundhouse, Camden, UK
03/12/2008
London @ the Roundhouse, Camden, UK

No comments: