Saturday, January 5, 2008

Home Grown Poems

I was thumbing through my copy of American Poetry: the nineteenth century volume earlier and it inspired me to go through some poems i wrote last year and share.

Broken Guardian

Your eyes don't kiss the sky,
Only now dilated, perspired tears cascading the floor,
Wasn't supposed to be this way,
I have forsaken as a Gargoyle,
Too long I sat idle collecting dust.
Annihilating the burns of summer's grace pressed upon my lungs, as
I struggle to recover my breath under a neon sky, clouds swirling orange, pink
And chaotic purple as the sun reluctantly dissolves across the horizon.
Unaware of the impeding storm circling overhead,
A shell of goose bumps explode up my spine,
Innocence tempestuously peeled like fruit,
Paralyzed with terror, seething crimson rage,
White spots crackle under the shadows of my clinched eyes,
Lacerating hero's wings, I reel off my pedestal,
Oaths lose their meanings, a cold reminder of regrets never healed,
Too many tears slip through my finger tips, hitting the ground with the force of Bedrock, crushing the Earth, I can never cleanse the stain,
I am a broken guardian.

May

Dusk during the opening weeks of May,
I crave the sun's decaying warmth,
Slow dancing over my arms like embers under a hushed flame,
A gentle spotlight to all those unhindered by the shielded cover of trees,
The wind sputters small breezes, rendering the sun's waning heat harmless as a small
Child.
Gusts gently caressing my cheeks and the back of my neck,
Sweet smells of pollen and nectar hang in the air flooding my nostrils,
I inhale and exhale like I never breathed before, the scents overwhelm me,
In this fleeting crux I feel so grateful to be alive.

Twilight
At 3 am when the city sleeps the night off, I am saved.
The Night frozen for a few hours til the sun births a new day,
I dont care much for the renewal, I linger for those dwindling hours,
Beset by the brush strokes of a petrified night's sky.
Unbridled hope and optimism lift my thoughts until sleep pulls my away and I plummet deeply into my bed giving way to uneven rest

No comments: